Wednesday, December 30, 2009

The Past Few Days

The past few days have been relatively uneventful in Nazareth, which is cool. I've had plenty of time to read, which is great, but English language materials are hard to come by, consequently, I've been reading books from the Church library. Today is rained, but tomorrow I am headed to the Mediterranean city of Akko.

But I have plenty of time to think. Increasingly, my thoughts have turned to what to do after Zion and Springdale, as someday I will have to leave. Lately I've felt that I will end up in New York City, which is so opposite of Springdale. Canyons of steel and concrete, not Navajo sandstone. But I do not think that will be anytime of soon. I found a volunteer position in American Samoa that looks promising, but that will be in about 18 months, if it works out. But where ever I end up I feel that I will end up overseas in some sort of service capacity. Now that I have had a taste of living overseas, I want to keep that up.

This Sunday I have been presented with an amazing opportunity. I've been invited to an international eco-tourism conference at Haifa University in Haifa, and on the Mediterranean! How cool is that? I'm going with Maoz, the owner, and hopefully I can make some good industry contacts. I'm glad that I brought a stack of my Zion Adventure Company rookie trading cards to give out. Hopefully I will have some good industry insight when I return. I'm feeling much better about my time here, and that I am actually making a difference with my service here.

3 comments:

  1. Sounds exciting - NYC? I'll come visit you wherever you are!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Where are you?? I've been checking and you haven't written in several weeks. I enjoy reading about your experience and I really enjoyed the letter you sent to Bishop Young! We are anxious to hear all about your trip in person. See you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OOPS! You were there all along. I had my cursor set to 2009 instead of 2010. Now I'm enjoying reading all your posts from January. It was so nice to see you today - your big smile! I can't wait to see the pics and hear more about your amazing adventure! You HAVE changed. I can tell it from your writing as well as in your countenance. Good to have you back!

    ReplyDelete