Thursday, December 17, 2009

Christmas in Israel

I keep forgetting that Christmas is next week. It is easy to do in a predominantly Muslim community in a Jewish country. In Nazareth, the population is about 30% Christian, so there is some Christmas stuff going on, but not nearly the amount that is customery in the United States. A few shops selling tacky Christmas ornaments made in China, and a few businesses with lights. That is it. The Fauzi Azar has some decorations, but even with that is it still a bit surprising when I remember. I have been told there will be a parade on Christmas in town, so I will have to check it out. On Sunday I will attend a Christmas concert at the Basilica of the Annunication. It will be in about 6 languages, so that should be cool. I recently learned that the Basilica is the largest church in the Middle East. Interesting.

It has been great to not have to deal with holiday shopping, however. As I won't be back to the US for 6 weeks, I still have plenty of time to accomplish that. Awesome. (Not to ruin the surprise, but the gifts will be Israeli souvenirs). Before I left I saw the most horrifying picture concerning holiday shopping ever. It was from the People of Walmart website, perhaps the most disturbing site I have ever seen. I am from Minnesota, hence, being a Target shopper is in my blood, and this is the sort of thing one would never see at a Target. The link is posted below. Fortunately, I have yet to see a Wal-Mart in Israel. They do have IKEA here; it is in suburban Tel Aviv. I know that everything there is exactly like I can find in the US, but going to it is still on my To-Do list.

No comments:

Post a Comment