Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Hiking in Zion

This morning I hiked a portion of the Jesus Trail, a trail that the owners of the Inn have been working on for quite some time. The trail goes from Nazareth to the Sea of Galilee, as the name implies, following the route Jesus may have taken while travelling that direction. Angels Landing it was not, but the mud was something to contend with. The trail this morning went past Cana where the miracle of turning water into wine occurred. As with many of the Biblical sites here, a new church has been built over the ruins.

Yesterday I visited the neighborhood mosque. The tour guide from the Fauzi Azar Inn asked me if I had a head covering with me. No, sorry, that is not something that I just happen to have in my Timbuk2 bag. But as the mosque is having the volunteers back on Friday for an indepth tour, I need to purchase something. On this trip I really hope to come to a better understanding of Islam, considering its prescence in the the US. There is so much about that religion that I just do not understand, but I really want to, especially the place of women in society, considering my experience yesterday.

Picture uploading has been weird; it seems to take way too long. I will have to work on that some.

2 comments:

  1. Were you hiking by yourself? I hope you are taking many photos.
    We are in a blizzard warning today - wish you were here (not really!)
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Charlotte.....what a wonderful journey. I am so envious! It has been snowing here for 2 days and the mountains are glistening. Be safe and I so enjoy your blogging...Brooke

    ReplyDelete