Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Visiting Biblical Sites

Being in the Holy Land, visiting Biblical sites is what one does. Visiting every site would be nearly impossible considering the sheer number of time. I am already having to decide which sites to cut out because of lack of time. It does not look like I will get to the Dead Sea this trip to Israel, but I have been invited to come with a friend in 2011 for her birthday. Maybe then.

What I have noticed at these sites is that I do not really feel anything. I look at them, think "That's cool," and I go on my way. This morning I went to the Greek Orthodox church near Mary's Well. There is a spring which has been flowing since Biblical times and is the reported place of where Mary would draw water. (Hence the name). The Greek Orthodox church was built over the spring, and while I was there all the members of a Russian or Ukrainian tour group wanted to drink the water and wash their hands and faces in it. I was not inclined to do that in any fashion. They also were kissing a lot of the pictures in the church, which probably is not a good idea.

I am starting to think that something is wrong with me that I feel nothing at these places. Here I am visiting sites that are key to religious traditions worldwide (my own included), and I do not feel any different. I feel more spiritual in Zion National Park than in this Zion. Maybe there is something wrong with me. I spent the last week here with my friend Karina from Zion and Springdale. She had been here for almost 5 weeks before she said she really felt anything, and that was at Mount Tabor. I'm trying to figure out how to remedy this situation, as there is great potential for spiritual growth in the place central to 3 major religions.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for your sharing your honest feelings. I would think that with 3 religions vying for your attention along with much contention in the area, it's difficult to feel the spirit. I agree that it's much easier in Zion because it is quiet and serene. I appreciate being able to keep up with you and your fabulous experiences! We're all missing you in Zion!

    ReplyDelete