Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Life at the Fauzi Azar

I've noticed a few comments asking what it is exactly I do here at the Inn. My responsibilities as a volunteer are minimal. I check people in, answer the phone, help people find their way around Nazareth (which can be tricky), ensure that there is hot water for tea and coffee, that there are baked goods available, and I chat with guests. Really it is very similar in many respects to what I do at Zion Adventure Company on a daily basis, except here my days do not involve washing muddy 5.10 Canyoneers, stinky neoprene socks, and Kokatat dry suits from the Narrows or the Subway in the cold at the end of the day. I am enjoying it very much. Because of my tourism and business background I also help with some special projects the owner has. Presently I am working on creating a guest feedback survey, updating the volunteer documents, and reviewing a multi-day package that is offered.

I only spend 4 hours or so a day with my volunteer activities, which allows plenty of time to explore. I spend a lot of time writing in my travel journal at the Basilica of the Annunication about 3 minutes from where I live. I recently discovered that it is the largest church in the Middle East. Interesting. Tomorrow I am tackling the task of washing clothes by hand. The promised washer has yet to arrive and I am in dire need of clean clothes. I had debated taking it to the laundry, but as the laundry charges by the kilo, it would have been about 80 shekels or $27.00 for clean clothes. That is more than I am willing to pay. I never thought that in 2009 I would be washing clothes by hand...actually never in my life did I think that would be doing something like that.

No comments:

Post a Comment