Monday, December 7, 2009

Pita Bread

Until now, I had not been a fan of pita bread. I guess I was sort of ambivalent towards it. But having it fresh is something new all together. Yesterday I was introduced to perhaps the most hole in the wall restaurant I have ever been to: Pita Pizza. The entrance and ordering area is maybe 4 feet wide, but the pizza is heavenly, and a mere 6 shekels, about $2.00. Added bonus: the guys the run it are very nice to look at. I also have a souk (market) maybe 100 yards from where I am. The prospect of eating fresh fruit, fresh bread and hummus for the next 2 months sounds excellent. Another added bonus: it's cheap.

One thing I am struggling with is the lack of laundry facilities. You can send laundry out and they wash it for you, but they charge you by the pound. But the prospect of washing in a tub by hand is thoroughly unappealing. Before I left I practiced wearing the same pair of pants twice. Maybe I should I tried 3 times. My roommate found my practicing hilarious.

I have an hour before I need to be back for training. Off to do some journaling. Pictures will be forth coming. I just need to find my SD card reader with the USB port.

Some of you have asked for my mailing address. I can be reached at:

Charlotte M. Vaillancourt
Fauzi Azar Inn
2606 Nazareth
16125 Israel

3 comments:

  1. Greetings, Charlotte:

    Thanks for sharing your experiences with us, dear earth-sister. I appreciate your perspectives on life here and there, and all I ask is that you take good care of yourself on this journey and allow yourself to remain open for the gifts this experience will bring.

    Shalom.

    Jeffrey

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Charlotte,

    My aunt from St George sent me your blog to follow and I had to laugh at your "practicing" of wearing clothing multiple times. I've lived in Europe for 10 years now and I initially found the "re-wearing" of clothing here for multiple days to be a bit disturbing (and this was in a professional setting). I remember seeing one Belgian VP show up at a meeting in the same trousers and sweater for 3 days running and found it a bit unsettling, although 10 years on I'm finding I am getting over it. I realize, particularly where we're not hot and sweaty, it's not such a big deal and it's probably better for the environment. Having said that, my European husband and I still have discussions periodically about whether or not he's wearing that same sweater AGAIN...although I have to admit I found myself in the same outfit on both Friday and Saturday of this week! At any rate, enjoy your stay in Israel. This sounds like a fascinating experience and I'm following it closely, hoping to live and learn through you vicariously.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love fresh pita bread...maybe someday they will get it right here!

    ReplyDelete