Friday, December 4, 2009

15 Hours in Israel

About every 5 minutes I ask myself, "What have I gotten myself into?" Craziness that's what! Thankfully I decided that I wouls practice my French at Zion Adventure Company this summer, because that has been very useful, perhaps moreso than English. Some quick notes on my time here this far, as I only have 10 minutes of typing time left before I have to search for directions to the home of a family I met at Zion Adventure over the summer. They are having me over for the start of the Sabbath tonight.
  • Turn signals are more of a suggestion than anything here, and crossing 4 lanes of traffic without so much as checking ones blind spot is common too.
  • I stick out in a big way: blonde hair and very fair skin just scream, "FOREIGNER!"
  • Air Canada did not show A Christmas Story as the website promised. Sadness.
  • Things are really expensive here. The dinner I got last night for the price of something at the Bit 'n Spur was pretty sad.
  • I received welcome to Israel text messages when I turned on my cell phone to check the time.
  • There is a mezuzah on my door frame.
  • The elevator kindly reminds people not to touch the buttons on the Sabbath.
  • Everytime I see a LandCruiser I think of Zion Adventure Company.
  • Not one person has asked about my ZAC jacket yet. Weird.

And a special note to Frank and Charlie: They have Crocs here! I saw 3 pairs at breakfast alone! (To everyone else, I have received a lot of grief about owning Crocs and working at a Birkenstock store. My Crocs have come to Israel, but will not be returning to the US.)

On the agenda for this morning: visiting the Mediterranean Sea.

Shalom!

2 comments:

  1. I sent a comment but it is not showing on the site! Big question - how do you use the elevator without pushing the buttons?
    Don't forget your sunscreen!
    Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. So can you receive packages? If so - please email me your address! Your trip is so amazing to me...glad you're posting the link to your articles on fb!

    ReplyDelete