Sunday, December 20, 2009

The Sea of Galilee

What was going to be a big weekend in Tiberias, the main city on the Sea of Galilee turned into just one day. I quickly realized that:
  • The rain would hang around for awhile.
  • That all of what there is to see in Tiberias can be seen in a couple of hours.
  • The sea is not that exciting, especially up close. It is really dirty, and the one beach I visited had a storm sewer emptying into the sea right next to it. Scenic.
I also learned that McDonald's ice cream cones taste the same regardless of whether it is Utah or Tiberias, but Snickers bars are much better in the Middle East. I cannot figure out why, I think it is the peanuts. Also, for a hostel that costs NIS 70 (about $20.00) a night, one must have very low expectations. It was more hostile than hostel, but at least I had a private room.

So I returned to Nazareth early, which was good. I met a group of German artists, and we went to dinner together. I think the invitation came because one of the guys and I had similar Timbuk2 messenger bags. Everyday I meet such intriguing people. I'm glad that I live in Springdale where everyone seems to have an interesting story. One of the guys I work for at Simply Birkenstock has had this amazing life, and I am continually learning new things about him. Sometimes I feel lame in comparasion to other Springdale residents; so many have accomplished so much more than me much younger than me. At least when I return I can say that I lived in Israel, but other people can say that too.


1 comment:

  1. I love the sea of gallilee! Too bad you did not get a good out look on it! It is one of my favorite places in the world. I have a million of those little shells you can find on the beach.

    ReplyDelete