Friday, December 4, 2009

Shabbot

Last night the Sabbath began, and I am still not sure what to make of a lot of what goes on. I spent the start of Shabbot with a family I had met ironically at Zion Adventure Company over the summer. The food and company was excellent, and I learned a great deal about kosher food. There were even some arguments about what exactly constitutes kosher food, much like the discussions at university amongst my friends as to whether or not non-caffienated Coke was okay. After last night I know what my next article for The Spectrum will be: kosher food.

Moreover, everything basically shuts down for 24 hours. The desk attendant at the guest house actually said that using the Internet was forbidden for Shabbot. It was his attempt at either humor or flirting, but whatever it was it failed miserably. Fortunately, I am able to use it. As for the elevators, I guess they run automatically. I have been avoiding them and using the stairs so as not to offend anyone.

Jet lag fortunately has not been a problem, but taking 3.5 hour naps probably helps. Israel is shockingly expensive. I'm regretting my decision to buy shampoo and soap here. Oh well.

My internet for the day is almost up. After 2 days in the country, I can say that my Zion is definitely cleaner, prettier, and friendlier than this one. I miss Springdale a lot.

Shalom!

1 comment:

  1. Charlotte, I am so glad you arrived safe and sound. I am so sorry we were not able to get together before you left. I have had you on my mind and heart 24/7 and I am sure I will be with you in spirit until you get back to Zion. Please take care of yourself and stay safe. I love you, Charlotte. All the kids are great and say hello.

    ReplyDelete