Thursday, January 28, 2010

A Sad Day

Today I leave Israel after having an incredible adventure here. However, it is time to return home to my Zion. I guess I have to work sometime. I hope that I am still needed at ZAC and Simply Birkenstock.

I leave for the airport today at 4 p.m. local time. My flight is not until 11:35 p.m. Once I leave the Ecce Homo Convent where I have been staying I have about 36 hours of travelling to look forward to. This morning I thought I had a tragedy to deal with. When checking in for my flight, my account said I was on STAND-BY for my Toronto to Las Vegas segment! I was in tears, as that is the last thing I wanted to deal with. However, upon calling the airline, I was informed that because it was still more than 24 hours before that flight departs, the status is listed as such. I think there has to be better wording than "stand-by" for such an instance. Stand-by does not conjure up good images for me.

I think a lot about whether or not I have changed while on this trip. I would like to think so. Perhaps the changes have been so incremental that I do not notice them. However, upon my return the changes will be blatantly obvious to everyone else. I hope that whatever changes have occurred will be for the best. I know at least that my face has changed. I had someone tell me that my face looked "heavy" in my passport photo.

Monday I hiked to the top of Mount Sinai in Egypt. That was crazy to say the least. It was so cold! Tuesday I visted Petra in Jordan. The pictures you might have seen absolutely do not do the area justice. I commented to the couple on the tour with me who had visited Zion that people back home will not believe that the pictures I have from Petra were actually from there. The landscape looked very much like Zion, almost uncanny in a way. I saw pictures of Wadi Rum, a canyon in the area, and it could have been the Narrows. However, I did notice that the people in the canyon did not have on the 5.10 Canyoneer shoes. So perhaps there is an untapped market for those.

The project for next week: Finally getting photos posted! I've had issues for Picassa for years for some reason. Also the computer in Nazareth was very slow.

2 comments:

  1. I hope your trip home will be safe and uneventful. I'm sure there are many people whose lives you touched while you were there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow, sounds like you had some fun! I would never guess that mt. sinai is cold. go figure!

    ReplyDelete