Friday, January 22, 2010

Jerusalem!

Jerusalem has been an intense experience. I'm getting very tired of every shopkeeper harassing me to buy things from them. I have to take the long way around some of them to avoid them. Having blond hair in Israel makes one stand out. I think I have seen maybe a dozen Israelis with natural blonde hair since I arrived. One thing about Jerusalem I find really odd is that there are a lot of people here who speak American English. Why that is I am not sure. I was directed to the supposed best falafel in Jerusalem, and it did not disappoint. The french fries added to it were a bold and daring move.

Today I was supposed to go to the Dead Sea. 4 people were needed to run the trip, but 2 cancelled because of weather concerns. The weather turned out to be perfect, so I am not sure what they were worried about. I was not willing to pay double to go. Oh well. I now I have a reason to come back. That as well as canyoneering.

There is something about the Western Wall that keeps pulling me back there. I've been 4 times in 3 days. Being there at the start of Shabbot was something else all together. There were literally thousands there celebrating the start of another Sabboth, from conservative to ultra-Orthodox Jews. I watched the activites for over an hour and a half. There was singing, dancing, and a lot of praying. There was something mesmerizing and entralling about what was going on. I have a lot of questions regarding practices now, but thankfully I have Rabbi Lawrence I became acquainted with because of a ZAC trip that I can ask.

1 comment:

  1. So good to hear from you! I've been thinking about you a lot - hoping you are safe and enjoying your time in Jerusalem. Too bad about the day trip today.
    I'm having a house warming party for OPL people tonight - the house looks wonderful.
    Talk to you soon I hope!
    Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete