Monday, August 2, 2010

The First Few Days in Georgia, the Country not the State

After a long absence my blog has returned. I did not expect that 6 months and 1 day after returning from Israel that I would be returning to so near that place. For the next 4.5 months I will be in Georgia, then back to the US for a month, than back to Georgia to finish the school year.

As I write this I am sitting in a real Soviet-era building in a city that looks about as depressed as when the Soviets were here, Kutaisi, Georgia. I get to be here for the next week. So much to look forward to! However, the dorm rooms look like IKEA showroom models, which is a hopeful move towards capitalism. Some aspects of the bathrooms leave a lot to be desired, and may be an ominous warning of things to come. While Western toilets do exist, I've only ever seen the other type once in my life. That was in a sketchy WC outside of the Tomb of the Patriarchs in Hebron, Palestine. I'm trying not to think about them.

Kutaisi is the site of our language, teaching methodologies, safety, etc. training. Because we are the first group of teachers the government is very concerned that we are taken care of. Last night we were informed if a helicopter is needed to get us out because of problems, that will be arranged. Interesting. We are also not allowed to cross the street without one of the Teach and Learn with Georgia staff present. Twice since our arrival we have met with the Minister of Education. Yesterday was the official affair at the Ministry itself. Here in Georgia it is perfectly acceptable to drink wine at 11 a.m., as my cohorts did at the Ministry reception.

Food here is 1) excellent and 2) plentiful. Dinner on Sunday was over 3 hours, and the food never stopped coming. A local speciality is this cheese bread. I was warned of its addicting nature before I arrived, and it is just that. Also, I've now drank more mineral water in the last 2.5 days than I had in my entire life previous to this. Also, drinking Coke made with real sugar, not high fructose corn syrup, is an odd experience as well.

The low point of my time here was the 4 hour bus ride through the Georgian country side late yesterday afternoon. The bus, at least in the back where I was sitting, had air conditioning more in a theoretical sense than in actuality. By the time we arrived, we were a mess. It was curious driving on the main East-West highway through the country that homes were right against the road and cows freely roamed on the road itself. That is not something you would see in the US.

The picture is of me at the Fortress, a Christian Orthodox Church overlooking Tbilisi, the capital. We visited there on Sunday afternoon. While there we saw actual Gypsies who proceeded to harass everyone for money. We also saw how quickly weddings occur. While there no less than 3 separate weddings occurred in the same church. Such speed is rarely seen outside of Las Vegas.

In a week we depart for Batumi and to meet our host families. I may not be in Batumi proper, but a village outside of the town. It is disappointing as I was told that I was going to be in the city, and was greatly looking forward to living seaside. There are rumors that we may even meet the President of Georgia while we are there.

(I know this font does not match the others, but it is called Georgia, and I thought it was appropriate).

1 comment:

  1. hey Charlotte - I am applying for the TLG program and I hope you don't mind me keeping up with you and your adventure while I make up my mind about moving to Georgia.

    Justine from Michigan

    ReplyDelete