Sunday, August 8, 2010

The Host Family

The whole host family thing has had me rather anxious, which is understandable. Yesterday I finally got some honest information about my family and new living situation that begins tomorrow afternoon. My family is very connected politically and more members speak English than I was previously told, which is a great relief. One of the family members is even an English teacher. Unfortunately, I am not on the seashore, but further up in the mountains about 15 minutes from the coast. When I heard mountains I instantly thought, "Oh no...snow." Thankfully I have my red Super-Birki clogs (thank you Simply Birkenstock) to get me through the winter. I might have to buy some real galoshes as well. One of the staff members has actually visited the home, which is a large 2-storey with a Western bathroom (aka no squat toilet).

Finally, I am exceptionally glad that the family has a large dog! Hopefully it looks like a Golden Retriever (how I miss Myles from Zion Adventure Company), but the fact it is a dog is good enough for me. We have been warned about petting dogs here because of the potential for rabies, but looking over our health insurance last night, vaccinations are covered 100%. Perhaps I will just take advantage of that and get the rabies vaccines. Wow...just a couple of months ago I never would have thought that rabies vaccines would ever be something I would have to consider.

Ultimately, only time will how tell what my living situation is like and how real what I was told is. I'm optimistic. As I learned in Israel: If I can successfully navigate the bus system in a country where I speak neither of the 2 main languages, I can do pretty much anything.

Today I was stood-up for a Skype chat. Insert one sad, frowny face here.

No comments:

Post a Comment