Saturday, August 7, 2010

Georgia: The Second Week Begins

Simply put, I'm struggling...a lot. The language and I are definitely not friends. I dread my language classes everyday. My 3 hours of torture. Often I sit and think, 'Right now I would rather do Heaps Canyon than try to pronounce the word for water, which is ts'qkhaili. That would be easier.' (Heaps is one of the hardest canyons in Zion, and the last rap is a 300' single rope rappel. Most people take 2 days to complete it.) Heck, I would do it with 2 left shoes if I had to. Today I practically had a panic attack from the fear of being called on and mispronouncing yet another word.

Moreover, the food is definitely not geared towards vegetarians, and the couple of times I did eat meat, it ended poorly. There is also an national obsession here with dill. Everything from soups to salads to entrees has it. Also I wish that the washing machines did not take FOREVER to wash a load of clothes. My laundry has been in for 3 hours, and I doubt it is to the spin cycle yet. At least with Israeli washing machines there was a quick wash cycle.

If I am struggling this much now, I'm nervous to find out what life will be like with my host family. We have been warned that their English most likely will be poor to non-existent. Awesome. Thankfully I have 10 other program participants in my city to rely on.

Off to check the laundry again, then 4 hours of teaching methodology classes this afternoon, and a trip to the city center (aka quiet sitting while everyone else drinks).

1 comment:

  1. You can do it, Charlotte. It's just a more intense way to learn a language than you have experienced in the past. You've learned three languages in you life - you can get this one too!

    ReplyDelete