Tuesday, August 10, 2010

The 2nd Georgian Arrival

The past 10 days in Georgia have been highly structured between language classes, set meal times, teaching methodology classes, and sightseeing activities. The Teach and Learn with Georgia staff were very protective of us, however, this afternoon we met our host families. Now our real Georgian experience begins.

I am in a suburb (for lack of a better term) of Batumi. Our host families met us with much pomp and circumstance at a 1st century castle near the Turkish border. My family was told I was not arriving until the end of August, so they are almost all on vacation. It was only yesterday that they were told that I was arriving this afternoon. Consequently, the English teacher cousin, 1 daughter, and a company employee arrived in the company car to pick me up. The principal of the school I am going to be at also came to get me.

The family is comprised of 7 people: grandmother, parents, and 4 children. 1 daughter is studying to be an architect, and the other 3 children (2 daughters and a son) live here. The other house on the property is owned by an uncle. From what I gathered when they finish constructing my room in the uncle's house I am moving next door. It sounded like the 2 families have been fighting over me. The family owns a construction business and the mother is a neurologist. The family also has the largest dog I have ever seen, Max. His paws are bigger than my hands, but he likes me. Excellent.

The layout of the house is a little odd. I'm in the downstairs with the family room, bathroom, and kitchen. The upstairs also has a kitchen, assorted rooms, and a washing maching...thankfully! I did not want to have to repeat my one washing clothes by hand experience from Israel. However, the washing machine is in Russian. The yard has a wood-fired oven, a random bathroom, and a gazebo.

The views from the yard are 1) Black Sea to the West and 2) mountains to the East. I will try and post pictures soon. The humidity is something to be reckoned with. It has been a very long time since I have had to deal with humidity more than the 40% or so it gets in Springdale. Oh, and there is no central air conditioning. I guess I will just have to deal with being sweaty for the next 10 months. Oh well. It is a minor thing. However, I am wishing I had brought more of my wicking shirts instead of cotton shirts with me.

So far my time in Georgia has been an amazing experience. I've made some excellent friends in the short time I've been here. I'm looking forward to all the moments and experiences the next 10 months will bring.

2 comments:

  1. It sounds like a really nice place to live. I like that the family members are fighting over you. You should feel special. I'm sure that Max knows a dog lover when he meets one.
    What will you be doing for the next few weeks before school begins?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad that you are keeping a blog. I can't imagine that I would ever have the courage to experience things like you are, so it is great to share in it through your blog!

    ReplyDelete