Wednesday, September 29, 2010

What Am I Doing Here?

That is a question I have repeatedly asked myself over the last 24 hours. Basically, there is no hope for the teachers, students or the school I am at. Anything I do to help improve the classroom or to teach English is forgotten about 30 seconds later...if they can even remember it that long. I am so frustrated with everything. Asking politely for information does not work, having chats with the teachers does not work, and I highly doubt that TLG cares about the problems considering how they have responded to other issues, such as the fact one of my friends went over 15 days without a shower because his host family did not have a shower or any running water. But somehow managed to have a flat screen TV.

The "English" teachers I work with have very little comprehension of the English language, and getting basic information from them is hard. They seem to struggle with any question beginning with Who? What? Why? When? Where? How? no matter what the length of the sentence. Also I realized that I can not use synonyms at all in my speech as it confuses them greatly. They learned one way to say everything, and now it is up to me to determine what that is. I guess school life will become like the 1980s/early 1990s video game classic, King's Quest IV for me. In that game unless you typed in the exact phrase that the game required, you could not get Rosella to do anything.

The students are no better. Loud, disruptive, rude, and lazy. The fact they can proceed to the next English class spelling, "My name is..." as "Mai neim iz..." is appalling. The fact that the teachers do not correct these problems is even worse. The students show no accountability for anything, and what is sad is that they do not have to. Students are not punished for lateness or failing to show up to class or not doing their homework. Today after a discussion with the "English" teachers about accountability they let the same behaviors continue. They do not believe in involving all the students in the class in the lesson, just the smart ones. Consequently, only 2 or 3 students do anything in the class. This practice seems to be rampant in Georgia based on conversations with my friends.

I'm frustrated, disheartening, and ready to give up. I come home from that wretched place in tears more days than I care to think about. The class schedule changes daily so I can never plan for anything, and the school district is always telling me at the last minute about these events I have to be at, which are actually very worthless. Yesterday I asked twice if there had been any schedule changes since Friday, and twice I got the answer, "No." There had been. Gee, thanks teachers...you are so helpful.

My return trip to the United States cannot come fast enough. I'm having a very difficult time trying to remain positive, optimistic, and feeling like I am accomplishing something worthwhile and important while I am here.

3 comments:

  1. Charlotte, I am so sorry that your situation is so challenging. Please try to remain positive as you know in your heart that is what the Lord would want of you! You know I am praying for you and that we think of you often here in Zion. You know my favorite thing to do....I will be calling your name in to the Temple this morning. Be safe dear friend and be positive...........

    ReplyDelete
  2. Charlotte, it is heart breaking to read that you are giving up on us so fast. please do not despair. all this difficulties is exactly the reason why your and other volunteer's presence is so vital for Georgia. we are messy, disorganized, absolutely clueless of how to build our educational system, but nevertheless we are desperately trying. in 93 when i was graduating nobody cared if we went to school at all, it stayed this way until very recently. and now we are trying to rebuild with your help. teaching kids English is one hope for them to access information outside of the classroom obviously not everyone will, but i hope you will find the way to motivate them somehow. please dont give up. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Charlotte,

    I do understand your feelings and really not envy you - you arrived in a country where educational system is SNAFU. Everyone admits it but there is still hope that it a new thing can be created - this is the very reason why you and other TLG folks are there.

    If I understand correctly you are somewhere in province. It would be double challenge for your because local people literally have not seen any alive Westerner in their neighborhood. You are not only the one encountering problems at classroom and adjusting - other TLG folks are struggling too, but most of them seems are finding a way to get their point thru with success. I think it would be a good idea if you can chat/exchange with them describing your problems and find out what can be done to overcome them - it is a good thing to listen to non-interested person's second opinion to see how situation looks from side.

    Please keep in mind that you are in Georgia to make a difference and get the country back to the right track. You are right now planting a tree but it will make years until it bears its fruit. If everything will go to the right direction one day, after decades your former students will will know your door at home to thank you for changing their life for good.

    Good luck again.

    ReplyDelete