Wednesday, September 15, 2010

The First Day of School

After being in Georgia a month and a half, I finally got into the classroom. I keep having to remind myself that this is Georgia and not the United States, things will be different. It is something I am having a hard time accepting and embracing. Letting go of order and organization is something that I am greatly struggling with.

I began today with high hopes, but they were short-lived. I tried washing my hands in the bathroom only to discover there is no running water, this AFTER there is soap on my hands. I had to use the water in my Nalgene to rinse my hands. As for the soap, I had to bring that from home. I had noticed previously that soap is absent from the washrooms. Awesome. That is going to bother me all year. It is on the list of things to discuss with the school director.

Between the lack of water and a lack of any clear idea what was happening today, I started school rather upset. This was compounded when the staff informed me I was going to speak to all the students, teachers, and parents for the opening assembly. That was not embarassing or anything. I said a few words in Georgian, said a few things in English, and was received with cheers and applause. Being American in Georgia is like being a celebrity. Even seems to know you but you have no idea who they are. My host family is always telling me that people saw me on the marshut'ka or out in the yard, and I have no idea who these people are. It is a little unsettling to have people watching you, especially when you cannot see them. Routinely people pay for my marshut'ka fares or give up their seats for me because I am a guest in their country.

Today I attended 3 classes, 9th, 11th, and 6th. The 6th graders were awesome. I am going to continue attending that class. Much like their American counterparts, the high schoolers were rather aloof and disinterested. If I can get out of the 11th grade class I will. I would rather devote my time to the students who are interested in learning English, the 6th graders. The class also has only 11 students compared to approximately 40 in the the 11th grade class. That size will allow for a lot more personal attention. Today I taught the 6th graders to play Hangman to review classroom vocabulary. I think that will be a class favorite.

I got to leave school about 1:15 p.m. We were supposed to have other classes, but I could not understand why we didn't. Oh well...I am off to prepare some things for the 3rd graders. This will be their first year of English instruction, consequently, basic things like letters and numbers will be taught. Perhaps I can use some of the songs from Sunday School in that class like "Popcorn Popping," "Do as I'm Doing," and "Once There Was a Snowman." Third graders like that sort of thing right?

No comments:

Post a Comment