Monday, February 14, 2011

The World is Indeed Small and Random

Over the past few weeks there have been several instances where these random events have occurred reminding me that the world is small and random. And that people are good and loving.

The Up & Up Mouthwash from Target

A couple of weeks ago while sitting in the family room/show kitchen room of the house (there is a kitchen just to look at in the room. The real kitchen in the house is elsewhere. Sometimes we heat water up on the range for cocoa or coffee, nothing more) my house mother jumps up and starts excitedly speaking Georgian as she running out of the room. The words seemed to be directed at me, but the speed of the speech made it nearly impossible for me to discern anything. She reappears with a bag full of Target Brand Up & Up mouthwash. I was momentarily speechless. What was this doing in Batumi? Moreover, has there been a secret Target here that I could have been spending all my 1) time and 2) laris at for the previous 6 months? The next 10 minutes were spent by me explaining the differences between each of the bottles and whether to use it before or after one brushes his teeth. While trying to answer their questions, I had plenty of my own questions, like "Where did this come from?" According to the host sister the neighbors sell it. But what are the neighbors doing with Target products? And can I get some for myself? I'm going to have to investigate the secret Target dispensary soon. Oh Target, how I love you. The Hopa Bazaar has nothing on your clean, well-lit, and well-stocked stores.

Toothpaste from Utah

The family also uses toothpaste from Springville, Utah. What? Seriously? Of course, it was a brand that has to be associated with some multi-level marketing scheme there. When I lived in Northern Utah, it perplexed me greatly how easily people there attached themselves to MLM schemes. It was odd and unsettling. But so is seeing Utah toothpaste in Batumi, Georgia that you did not bring there.

Southern Utah on a Local Access Channel

Yesterday during the about 15th straight day of rain while trapped in the family room, I was half-hearted watching some news program on the Georgian equivalent of a cable access channel. I'm not sure the whole story, but suddenly it broke into showing adventure travel scenes from around the world. Before I knew it, I'm watching a BMX rider in Southern Utah. It had to have been from the Red Bull Rampage in Virgin or something pro-rider Josh Bender did. Whatever it was, it was definitely southern Utah. It saddened me, because I miss my red rocks and warm temps so much.

"Are you Charlotte from Charlotte in Zion?"

Last week while spending some quality time at the Press Cafe using the Wifi, my friend and I met one of the new teachers in the area. We introduce ourselves, and after I say "I'm Charlotte" she responds with, "I don't want this to sound creepy, but are you Charlotte from Charlotte in Zion?" At first it didn't register at all what she was saying. How does she know I'm from there? Did she make that connection just by the ZAC jacket? Then I realized she was referring to the blog. She said before she arrived she read the blogs people were keeping about their time here. She said she enjoyed it, and that it was one of the few positive ones about Georgia. Good to know. It was weird to have someone I've never met talk about the blog with me. But it is cool that people besides my friends and family read it

Be Open to Invitations

The other day I went to meet some people I know. They had the time wrong, and for 15 minutes I waited outside in the cold. The neighbors saw me shivering, and invited me into their house. I tried to turn down their offers, but saying no to Bebias is hard. Before I knew it I was sitting in a humble apartment, drinking tea, eating khatchapuri, watching a "Mission: Impossible" in Russian with Philip Seymour Hoffman, and getting to know the family and their hairless cat. I was there only 15 minutes, but have been told I have to come back. I'm glad I said yes to the invitation.

Moments like that make travel and life meaningful. When I am back in Springdale after this year, I am going to be more open to travelers, and hopefully show them the same hospitality I have been shown here. Zion is my home, and I want them to see it in the same way I can every day. In 2009, I met a dear friend just by commenting on inner-tubing the Virgin River. I need more experiences like that.

3 comments:

  1. > I am going to be more open to travelers

    Hey Charlotte, I'm going to use your hospitality when I will be in Zion next time. Being there more then ten times, have seen plenty of National Parks but Zion is my first and true love. Especially Angels landing point hike which I've done four times.

    ReplyDelete
  2. > my friend and I met one of the new teachers
    > in the area

    P.S. Does the new teach has a blog?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Charlotte,

    The new teacher you met was 100% correct on your blog. I also plan on spending next year in Georgia with TLG and love you blog. It seems to be one of the few that the reports are fair and balanced. It seems more people need to understand that moving into another country you adjust to their culture and not them to yours.

    ReplyDelete