Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Ode to A Great Traveling Companion


Today I thought how thankful I am for traveling companions, one particularly comes to mind: My black Marmot fleece jacket.

The jacket was given to all Zion Adventure Company staff in 2009. Since then it has become an indispensable part of my travel wardrobe. In 2010, I was given a Mammut hoodie, which I have yet to bond with. It came to Georgia, but is now back in the United States, patiently awaiting my return in a closet.

Back to the Marmot jacket. Being black it matches everything I own and that I travel with. I wear it with casual attire and even more formal attire. It washes well, and dries quickly. The zippered pockets are a lifesaver, and big enough to hold a passport pouch. It has been to several countries (Israel, Egypt, Jordan, Georgia, the US, Canada and Turkey) and several states (Nevada, Utah, Arizona, Minnesota, Wisconsin, and Illinois). I've hiked, biked, attended weddings, canyoneered, rock climbed, slept, ate, and shopped in it. Its been to places such as Mt. Sinai, Petra, the Dead Sea, the Wailing Wall and Lake Powell. When I was in the West Bank, I had to cover the part that said Zion on it. At one point, a soldier saw Zion and asked where I was from, as he thought I was Israeli. Also in Israel, it was a great conversation starter. Most people there were not aware another Zion existed. A lot of younger people thought I lead Birthright tours for young Jews. Then I would bring out the Zion postcards and the "Ooohhhs" and "Aaahhhs" would commence.

It has performed miraculously in each endeavor. Sometimes I wonder what I will do when it falls apart, but I will probably just buy a new one. I hope I have several years left with it, however. The only wear is a couple of holes from rock climbing with Calvin, and a melted spot. Yesterday it was horribly cold, and I put my hand briefly next to the wood burning stove at home. Note to self: the melting temp of Marmot fleece jackets is really low. A little bit of the jacket is still on the stove. Oops.

No comments:

Post a Comment