Saturday, October 8, 2011

American Food Abroad

Living abroad means separation from all that is normal and routine in one’s life, a statement which is obvious. Things may be very similar, but yet not quite the same as one is accustomed to at home. However, until one has done it for an extended period of time, it is hard to convey how simple things from home can make one’s day. Often this involves food, especially if it is American, you’re American, and it is something impossible to buy in Georgia. While many of the same brands exist in Georgia, there is just something about it being from America in English-language packaging that makes it so appealing. Or the brands you know are here, but the product formulation is slightly different. For some reason I get really upset that blue M&M’s don’t exist here. It bothers me greatly. I recently discovered some imitation Chee-tos at the store made in Iran, that do a fair job, but still not quite the same. However, I would recommend that the American brand start to make chili flavored ones, like the Iranian company. Do I eat Chee-tos in the US? Absolutely not, but here they are a nice reminder of home. The irony of an Iranian product reminding me of America isn’t lost on me.

Moreover, American Food Excitement seems to always involve food you would not be seen eating in America, or would not admit to eating and/or liking. This is especially true with fast food. Do I eat at any fast food restaurant in the US? Very rarely. When I talk to my university students about the Burger King across the border in Turkey, they are shocked that I don’t eat fast food in America. They have the idea that all Americans eat fast food all the time. No, that is not the case, but a large portion of America eats it with stunning regularity. However, they are impressed when I tell them that the fries and milkshakes taste EXACTLY the same as they do in the United States. Last week when at the Kemal Pasa Burger King, I noticed the staff is still the same as it was when I last visited in April. Employee turnover at Turkish fast food establishments is shockingly low, compared to its American counterparts. Moreover, the guy there recognized me! It probably isn’t good to be recognized at a fast food establishment at a country you do not live in; however, how many blonde, American females living in the Batumi, Georgia area frequent that Burger King? Um, just one.

At the university, we now have another Peace Corps volunteer. Dave and I frequent the neighbourhood khatchapuri stand. One day Dave asked if I would like a Taco Bell Hot Sauce packet for my khatchapuri. Ummm…YES! Honestly, I cannot remember the last time I consumed anything from Taco Bell. I think it was while I was at university in 2003. I was sick for a lot of my last months of university, and for most of that time I had no appetite. When I was actually hungry, what did I eat? Nachos fromTaco Bell. I still find that fact rather unsettling. It was the only thing that appealed to me besides Cheez-It crackers and baby carrots. Having that hot sauce on my khatchapuri rocked my khatchapuri world! I will be going to Taco Bell to get hot sauce when I am back in the United States. That is not something I thought I would ever admit to. Last week another Peace Corps volunteer I know mentioned he had a Pop-Tart for breakfast, and I was envious. I never thought I would be envious over a preservative filled breakfast pastry.

No comments:

Post a Comment